The capabilities of continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) continue to grow and help people with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes manage their blood sugar levels with more and more ease.
With one of the newest models of glucose monitoring systems, Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre 3 system, coming onto the marketplace in late 2022, you’ll be able to receive it through Medicare and Aeroflow Diabetes if you qualify.
Learn what features the FreeStyle Libre 3 system will have and what you’ll need to do to get it through your Medicare plan.
The New CGM System
The FDA has cleared the new FreeStyle Libre 3 System, created by Abbott, for people with diabetes ages 4 and up. It also received its CE mark in September of 2020. It is expected to come out in America later this year.
The system is a game-changer that is:
- A small, discreet3, and thin† sensor that is the size of two stacked U.S. pennies.
- Easy to apply3 to your skin with a 1-piece applicator.
- A 14-day CGM.
- Capable of sending glucose readings every minute.
- The first CGM system to have a sub-8% mean absolute relative difference (MARD).*1,*2
- Compatible with smartphones for real-time glucose readings.
- Capable of sending Bluetooth readings up to 33 feet away.
- Smaller size. The FreeStyle Libre 3 system is much smaller than the FreeStyle 14 Day system and the FreeStyle Libre 2 system. The new CGM is about the size of two stacked pennies.
- Minute-by-minute glucose readings*1. The FreeStyle Libre 3 will send real-time glucose readings to your smartphone every minute so you won’t need to scan your sensor to get your blood glucose level readings.
- One-piece applicator. Rather than having a 2-piece applicator, like the previous FreeStyle Libre systems, the new system has just a 1-piece applicator.
This new applicator offers less waste in paper and plastic which is better for the environment.
According to Abbott, the new CGM sensor will be priced at around the same cost as the Freestyle Libre 2 system out of pocket. But, if you qualify with Aeroflow Diabetes, you’ll be able to get your new CGM covered through Medicare!
How to Get FreeStyle Libre 3 System With Medicare
If you use insulin and require frequent adjustments to your insulin regimen, Medicare may cover the cost of the FreeStyle Libre 3 system. Aeroflow Diabetes will help coordinate between your doctor's office and your Medicare insurance provider to gain approval for insurance coverage. We'll even ship you your supplies at no cost!
To see if you qualify, fill out our Eligibility Form. After completing the form, we’ll reach out to your healthcare provider for the required prescription and then contact you with the next steps.
FDA clears next-generation FreeStyle Libre 3 CGM for people with diabetes. (n.d.). Www.healio.com. Retrieved July 26, 2022, from https://www.healio.com/news/endocrinology/20220531/fda-clears-nextgeneration-freestyle-libre-3-cgm-for-people-with-diabetes#:~:text=The%20new%20device%20is%20expected
Abbott’s FreeStyle® Libre 3 System Receives CE Mark - Features World’s Smallest, Thinnest Sensor with Best-in-Class Performance at the Same Low Cost for People with Diabetes. (n.d.). Abbott MediaRoom. Retrieved July 27, 2022, from https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-09-28-Abbotts-FreeStyle-R-Libre-3-System-Receives-CE-Mark-Features-Worlds-Smallest-Thinnest-Sensor-with-Best-in-Class-Performance-at-the-Same-Low-Cost-for-People-with-Diabetes
FreeStyle Libre 3 System (CGM) | Healthcare Providers. (n.d.). Www.freestyleprovider.abbott. Retrieved July 26, 2022, from https://www.freestyleprovider.abbott/us-en/freestyle-libre-3.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwof6WBhD4ARIsAOi65ajwDZaqbrznefgpLtpsBMM7g9M-Hy8dEbCcLUT857Wv7ltHcaium1MaAi-hEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Information provided on the Aeroflow Diabetes website is not intended as a substitute for medical advice or care from a healthcare professional. Aeroflow recommends consulting your healthcare provider if you are experiencing medical issues relating to diabetes care.
* The FreeStyle Libre 3 app is only compatible with certain mobile devices and operating systems. Please check our compatibility guide for more information about device compatibility before using the app. Use of the FreeStyle Libre 3 app requires registration with LibreView.
† Among patient-applied sensors.
References: 1. FreeStyle Libre 3 User's Manual. 2. Data on File. Comparison based on publicly available information. 3. Data on File. Abbott Diabetes Care.